In a blend of bravery, love, and perhaps a dash of recklessness, a young university student named Jia from Nanchang, Jiangxi province in southeastern China, found himself faced with an unexpected predicament. The incident, which recently transpired on October 14, revolved around Jia’s girlfriend getting scratched by a stray cat. In a bid to alleviate her pain and eliminate any perceived threat, Jia took matters into his own hands—or rather, his own mouth.
Jia’s response to his girlfriend’s injury was influenced by scenes he’d seen on television, specifically from dramas where characters sucked venom out after a snakebite. This cinematic inspiration prompted him to attempt to draw out what he believed to be “poison” from the scratch through suction. He recalled, “Seeing her in pain made my heart wrench. I’ve always believed that we should shoulder both the good times and the challenges in our relationship. So, with that sentiment, I thought of drawing the poison out for her. I never anticipated the unforeseen consequences that would arise from that impulsive act.”
The aftermath of Jia’s well-intentioned but ill-advised move was sobering. Medical professionals informed him that his actions had inadvertently exposed him to a Level Three threat of rabies, which is classified as the most hazardous. Consequently, both Jia and his girlfriend had to undergo a series of medical treatments. They were administered a combination of vaccines, encompassing anti-rabies medication and immunoglobulin.
The financial toll of Jia’s chivalrous act was significant. His individual medical bill amounted to 1,116 yuan (approximately US$153), with the combined total for both him and his girlfriend exceeding that amount. Still, despite the situation’s gravity, Jia retained a sense of humor about the episode, jokingly lamenting, “Just a single attempt to help with my mouth set me back by 1,500 yuan!”
Chi Yun, a notable figure in the medical community and the Director of the Infectious Diseases Department II at Tangshan Branch of The Second Hospital of Nanjing, elucidated on the risks. She explained, “The rabies virus has a propensity to bind to nerve cells. Hence, regions with dense nerve endings, such as the lips and fingertips, are particularly susceptible to infection.”
Her advice was clear and categorical: never attempt to use one’s mouth to cleanse wounds. In the absence of soap, she recommends simply washing the injured area with clean water, emphasizing the importance of a rabies vaccine for recovery.
The peculiar nature of Jia’s story garnered significant attention online, with netizens chiming in with a mix of humor, concern, and admiration. One user jested about Jia’s possible overindulgence in Chinese kung fu movies, while another offered a clarifying note about the dangers of attempting to suck out snake venom. Yet another pointed out the pure-hearted intent behind Jia’s actions, albeit labeling it as a lapse in judgment.
Summing up the sentiment, one user remarked, “Love can sometimes make us momentarily forget common sense.”