According to a popular health tip, individuals should consume eight glasses of water, approximately two liters, each day. However, a new study led by scientists at the Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology in China suggests that fewer glasses of water may be needed.
The study, published in the journal Science, introduces a set of equations for predicting human water turnover, which reflects the amount of water used by the body daily. Researchers investigated 5,604 participants from over 20 countries, ranging in age from 8 days to 96 years, using isotope-tracking methods.
The results of the study revealed that the daily water intake for a man in his 20s should be between 1.5 to 1.8 liters, and for women in the same age group, it should be 1.3 to 1.4 liters. As individuals age, their water requirements decrease. The study found that a man between the ages of 20 to 35 consumes 4.2 liters of water each day, while a woman aged 30 to 60 consumes 3.3 liters.
These findings challenge the widely held belief that individuals need to consume eight glasses of water each day, as the study indicates that the required daily water intake is significantly lower. It is important to note that the study provides general guidelines and that individual water requirements may vary depending on factors such as physical activity levels, climate, and health status.
Proper hydration is essential for maintaining optimal health, and individuals should pay close attention to their water intake. Water is essential for regulating body temperature, removing waste products from the body, and lubricating joints. It is also important for maintaining healthy skin and cognitive function.
The results of this study suggest that the daily water intake required for optimal health may be lower than previously believed. The study highlights the importance of proper hydration and provides general guidelines for daily water intake based on age and gender. However, it is important to note that individual water requirements may vary depending on various factors, and individuals should pay close attention to their own hydration needs.
According to a new study, people may not need to drink as much water as previously thought. The research, led by scientists at the Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology in China, found that the average daily water intake for a man in his 20s should be 1.5 to 1.8 liters, while a female in the same age group should consume 1.3 to 1.4 liters of water.
The study, published in the journal Science, for the first time described a set of equations to predict human water turnover. This is an indicator reflecting the amount of water used by the body each day. The researchers studied 5,604 participants from more than 20 countries, ranging in age from 8 days to 96 years, using isotope-tracking methods. They found that a man aged 20 to 35 consumes 4.2 liters of water each day, while a woman aged 30 to 60 consumes 3.3 liters. The water requirements drop as people age.
People are encouraged to drink less than 45 percent of the total daily turnover, according to the researchers. This is because metabolism and water exchange on the skin can provide 15 percent of the daily turnover, while food and drinking contribute half of the remaining 85 percent.
“The majority of people perhaps don’t have to drink eight glasses of water a day,” says Zhang Xueying, co-first author of the paper and an assistant research fellow at the SIAT. The total water input and output vary according to multiple factors, including body size, physical activity, air temperature, humidity and altitude, according to the study.
“The equations can be applied to individuals around the world,” says Zhang. “Just input their basic physiological indicators and the temperature and humidity they live in.” However, people living in countries with a low human development index have higher water turnover than people in high-HDI countries, she adds.
The study marks the first step towards a personalized prediction of water requirements, says the paper’s co-corresponding author John Speakman who also works at the SIAT. By inputting basic physiological indicators and environmental factors, individuals can receive a personalized prediction of their water requirements.
In conclusion, this study has revealed that people may not need to drink as much water as previously believed. Instead of eight glasses a day, the recommended amount of water intake is 1.5 to 1.8 liters for men in their 20s, and 1.3 to 1.4 liters for women in the same age group. The equations used in the study can be applied to individuals around the world, providing a more personalized prediction of their water requirements.